Deploying NG Firewall in Amazon AWS
Untangle NG Firewall supports deployment via Amazon Web Services (AWS). Untangle NG Firewall for AWS is a 64-bit Amazon Machine Image (AMI) that is launched and managed from the AWS Management Console. This deployment option is useful for example in decentralized network environments that need to route through a remote gateway to enforce policy management, reporting, content filtering, and other types of network security.
Step 1: Select an instance type
Before launching Untangle NG Firewall for AWS, it is necessary to determine the type of licensing model and infrastructure that is appropriate for your intended usage.
Untangle NG Firewall for AWS is available in the AWS Marketplace as a Bring-Your-Own-License (BYOL) type of offering. This option enables you to select your preferred license type and apply it in a similar way to the software or virtual appliance deployment types.
AWS instances are available in different sizes to accommodate the performance requirements of your deployment. The instance types and their associated costs are outlined in the pricing Information section of the AWS Marketplace overview page. The table below provides general guidance to help you identify which instance type to choose based on your intended usage.
|Instance Type||Specifications||Max devices (suggested)|
|Small||1 vCPU core
2 GB memory
|Up to 50 devices|
|Medium||2 vCPU cores
4 GB memory
|Up to 150 devices|
|Large||2 vCPU cores
8 GB memory
|Up to 500 devices|
|Extra Large||4 vCPU cores
16 GB memory
|Up to 5000 devices|
Step 2: Add a subscription
Once you have selected a licensing option and instance type, you must add the subscription to your AWS account. This enables you to launch the Untangle NG Firewall instance from the AWS Management Console. Add the subscription by clicking Continue to Subscribe from the AWS Marketplace overview page.
Step 3: Prepare your Virtual Private Cloud (VPC)
A VPC is the virtual networking environment where your AWS instances reside. The quickest way to deploy Untangle NG Firewall for AWS is to launch the instance into the default VPC. In the default VPC configuration AWS automatically configures the required components including the gateway, subnets, and routing.
|Configuring NG Firewall for AWS using routed subnets.|
Step 4: Launch the Untangle NG Firewall Instance
To launch Untangle NG Firewall into your VPC:
- Click Launch Instance from the EC2 Dashboard in the EC2 Management Console.
- Click AWS Marketplace from the menu on the left and search for “Untangle”.
- Locate the license option you previously subscribed to and click Select.
- Review the product and pricing details and click Continue.
- Select the instance type that suits your needs and click Next: Configure Instance Details.
- If necessary, adjust the settings of your instance. For simple deployment, make sure the Network matches your default VPC and click Next: Add Storage.
- If necessary, increase the storage Size and click Next: Add Tags.
- If necessary, assign a tag to help you identify and manage this instance. Click Next: Configure Security Group.
- Select Create new security group and assign it a name and description. Set the Type to “All traffic” and Source to “Anywhere”. Click Next: Review and Launch.
- Review the summary of your instance and click Launch.
|Performance Guide for tips to reduce the system requirements.|