14.2 is a major new release containing new functionality and some big changes.
Improved Education Features
Many commonly-requested features have been added to Web Filter. These are especially powerful for those filtering for children like educational institutions and those doing SSL inspection.
- "Enforce safe search" now includes searches on youtube.
- Logging of online searches now includes searches on youtube.
- Added a new "Search Terms" tab to allow admins to block/flag searches containing certain words or phrases.
- Added the ability to import very large list of suspicious search terms in either JSON or CSV format.
New Web Filtering Categorization engine
We have switched Web Filter to use Brightcloud's web URL categorization and reputation engine. Untangle often changes the underlying commercial engine used in some of the paid apps (like Virus Blocker) over the years. Doing so is never easy, but is critical for Untangle to stay current with the best technologies available.
Brightcloud offered the best categorization of the solutions we tested in our most recent test. This test includes both performance and accuracy as well as other properties like the category taxonomy. Brightcloud also provides the background intelligence so Untangle can now provide information about *why* certain sites where categorized as malicious when customers have questions.
On upgrade, your current category settings will be converted to the new category format.
Additionally Brightcloud offers several other key reputation services which we hope to use in future versions. More on that in the future!
Other Quality-of-Life Improvements
Web Filter categories page is now grouped by default and has a search function to help locate categories more easily. Additionally the database schema has been improved for better reports performance.
Intrusion Prevention incorporated much user feedback and requests from the new version impremented in 14.1
This includes many bugfixes but also new features like the ability to exempt certain traffic or subnets from Intrusion Prevention entirely.
Directory Connector can now connect to directory services in Microsoft Azure.
The Active Directory Login Monitor now can monitor RADIUS authentication events on the Active Directory server.
Tons of other improvements and bugfixes
- systemd boot hang issues fixed
- many IPS fixes
- many AD/directory-connector fixes
- OpenVPN now build windows client based on 2.4.7 (thanks WebFool!)
- Configuration Backup can now be scheduled to a specific time