Untangle Server User's Guide
The Untangle Server User's Guide
The Documentation Team at Untangle is always striving to produce better documentation. To provide feedback on this guide, use the wiki discussion tab, or request enhancements by emailing the Documentation Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Of course, if you are already an Untangle expert, can always make your own contributions to the community by sharing your knowledge on our wiki.
Please Note: Most of the features discussed in this User Guide are available in the Open Source version of the Untangle Server software; however, some features are only available if subscribing to paid applications or packages. For a current list of features and pricing, have a look at our Product Overview.
Getting Started with Untangle (Things to Know)
The following links contain a wealth of information on how Untangle works, including racks, applications and policies. If you're new to Untangle, we highly recommend reading these pages to familiarize yourself with the platform:
- The Untangle QuickStart Guide
- An Introduction to Untangle - the GUI and supported configurations.
- The Basics - logging on and working with your hardware.
- Policy Manager - creating additional racks and policies.
- About Routing and Virtual Racks - info on how racks and policy management work together.
There are two types of Applications:
- Filter Applications: All the Applications above the Services pane in the interface can have unique configurations, which you can apply to specific virtual racks. Virtual racks enable you to create different policies for different sets of users.
- Service Applications: All the Applications below the Services pane are services and are "global." Each has a configuration that applies to all virtual racks. As such, if you remove any service from any rack, you will remove that service from all racks.
We also have a list of discontinued apps - these are not available to new installations and are no longer supported by Untangle.
These options are available under the Config tab of the GUI and are broken down by section:
Features and settings listed under Advanced Mode may require you to be in Advanced mode to access them:
Topic Standard Mode Advanced Mode Configuration Mode N/A Networking Basics N/A Network Configuration Port Forwards N/A External Aliases Hostname Configuration N/A DHCP Server N/A DNS Server N/A QoS N/A Multi-WAN N/A Packet Filter N/A Overrides N/A Bypass Rules N/A Route Management N/A Static ARP Management N/A
Tab Topic Admin Accounts Public Address Certificates Monitoring Skins
Tab Topic Email Settings From-Safe List Quarantine
Tab Topic Local Directory
Tab Topic Upgrade Upgrade Setup
Tab Topic Support Backup Restore Protocol Settings Regional Settings
Tab Topic Version Registration
just need some whitespace